Below you will find a listing of articles Justin has written. To see podcasts and other media Justin has appeared in, check out the podcasts and other media pages.
If you would like to have Justin write something for you, you can contact him.
- My experiences with inaccessible job applications & how to fix them
Blog post examining some of the issues that Justin has had applying for jobs online and some ways employers can prevent accessibility issues with their online hiring portals.
- Using alt text to make science Twitter more accessible for people with visual impairments
Co-written with Dr. Domenico Chiarella and Dr. Christopher Jackson, this article examines how alt text can be used on science-based Twitter posts to make them more accessible to people with visual impairments.
- Op-Ed: Airlines should follow United lead on seatback IFE accessibility
Article discussing a newly-announced seatback in-flight entertainment system United was beginning to install that has a plethora of accessibility features, including a built-in screen reader, screen magnification, and assistance for color blind passengers.
- Op-Ed: DOT made the right call with service animal guidance
Article discussing guidance provided by the US Department of Transportation on flying with service animals under the previous rules.
- Op-Ed: DOT NPRM could discourage service animal owners from traveling
Article reacting to the proposed rules for traveling with service animals that were issued by the US Department of Transportation while the proposal was open for comment.
- Flying blind in a post-pandemic world – it’s complicated
Article speaking to blind people about their thoughts on traveling by air just as air travel was beginning to rebound during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- United impresses with accessible app for the blind
Article examining recent updates to United's iPhone app in which United touted all the accessibility improvements that were made.
- DOT service animal rule lifts some proposed burdens on handlers
Article examining the new rules adopted by the DOT surrounding flying with service animals.
- Exploring airline form accessibility for service animal handlers
Examining the accessibility of the forms used to submit service animal information soon after the new rules for flying with service animals were adopted. The issues that were identified with United and Alaska's forms have since been resolved.
- Minor hiccups aside, United strives to be accessible for the blind
Trip report on flights from Phoenix to Houston and back On United's 737 MAX 9 in late April 2021.
- Why US animal relief areas are ripe for improvement
Discussing experiences with service animal relief areas in airports and how they could be improved.
- How United’s accessible in-seat IFE lives up to expectations
Trip report for flights between Phoenix and Houston on United's 737 MAX 8 equipped with the accessible in-flight entertainment system United started rolling out to their fleet in 2019.
- Alt Text and Social Media
Introduction to using alt text on different social media platforms.
Please note that Justin has no control over the accessibility of any links to third-party sites.